Friday, January 9, 2009

Frequency, Urgency, and Fun

I now have had 17 proton treatments, and so far have only experienced 'minor' side effects---by minor I mean not becoming incontinent or impotent, which are high probablities with other treatments of prostate cancer. Specifically, 'minor' for me is an increase in frequency and urgency of urination, which my caseworker, Kristi Helow explains as expected because the proton radiation is affecting the urinary system as some parts of the system are right there at the prostate. Part of the problem is that my bladder doesn't completely empty, hence, it 'feels fuller sooner'. I am not a scientific/medical person, so I perhaps don't use the correct terminology,but it makes sense to me.

As the jokes go at the weekly luncheons at the institute, I am increasingly aware of the location of restrooms and public bathrooms where ever we go.

We have met so many nice folks that are in the same situation as we are. Right here at Flamingo Lakes RV Resort there are five other couples (plus another arriving in about a week or two) with trailers, motorhomes or fifth wheels. There is always someone to visit with or do things with... and this is very nice for social butterflies like us.

Today we are headed for the Cedar River Seafood Restaurant in Callahan (12 miles north) with 3 other couples...ah, an all you can eat deal! A night ago we played bridge with next door neighbors Bob and Bonnie Herman. Saturday is a dance with live music here at the park, and at least one other couple is going to that. Our social calendar seems to be filling up!

Bob also helped me (ok, he did all the work!) attach a pvc pipe under the belly of our Excel to hold our spare sewer hoses. I thanked him profusely for doing the work, to which he said 'no problem I really like doing this kind of thing'. My comment to that was I was 'glad I could make him happy'.

Thought for today : Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance.

No comments: