Thursday, December 18, 2008

Proton Therapy


Me in my fancy gantry fashions

I thought I'd give you all an inside view of the proton therapy 'gantry' where I receive my treatments. I lay on this table with my head toward the viewer. When everything is lined up ( they use laser lines towards 'x' marks on my hips and the bed itself. The bed is then swiveled into the chamber so my feet are towards the viewer.


The blue thing by my feet is actually a form made from my legs, so that when I lay in it, everything is in the same place. The box on the left is an xray apparatus, which is used to 'track' my prostate, so that it doesn't move. The box on the right is what the proton beam passes through. In there somewhere is the lens made specifically for my prostate. Everything is adjustable in just about every direction to fine tune my prostate position in relation to the proton beam.My understanding is that if everything isn't lined up just right, the beam is stopped.

Below is a photo of three of the girls that have helped me in the gantry area this week. From the left is Kim, Ashley and Kristin. This whole thing is like something out of Star Wars... Except for the people, which make it really nice. Every employee here is exceptionally positive and caring, but more than that, they know they are part of something good, and they are always smiling and 'up'. A really healthy way to be in health care!!!

1 comment:

Marianne Bush said...

Wishing you well. I'm sure things are going to work out great with all I've heard and been reading about the treatment. Thanks for sharing. We're heading down to Loma Linda on Monday for my husband's pre treatment procedures. Will keep you in our prayers.