Wednesday, December 17, 2008

2 down, 37 to go

I have started my treatments at the Florida Proton Institute. My first was Monday afternoon, and I must say I was nervous and anxious. Before my treatment, I had consultations with my nurse Kristi, and then my oncologist Dr. Randal Henderson. That calmed me down considerably, as the doctor went over my MRI, scan and biopsy results, all of which confirmed the cancer is contained in the prostate, and it in the intermediate stage. That was a relief...

Each treatment is the same...void a half hour before, drink 15 oz. of water, then when called back to the 'gantry', get a certain amount of saline solution pumped into my rectum. I then lay down into my premade leg forms on the table, get 'lined up' and positioned so I am in the same position and my prostate is in the same place every time...this is done with lasers aimed at markers on my hips and the 4 gold markers inserted in my prostate. When laying correctly, I hold a spongy ring with both hands across my chest to reduce the chance of movement. The whole key to this process is to have all variables the same every day, and have me in the same position every day. The table is then swiveled into the gantry area (a 10-12 foot diameter cylindrical space, and maybe 12 feet deep), and I hear some clanking and whirring, and sometime while I am lying there motionless the proton beam is released at the target from either the left or right side...the side is alternated each day. That's it. From start to finish it is about 45 minutes. I feel nothing and I don't hear the beam.

When friends and relatives call, they express concern about how I am feeling. Truthfully, I feel the same as any other regular day...Sometime down the road I may experience some issues--burning when voiding, increased urgency and frequency are some of the more common. Each guy is different, so I will just have to wait and see. But I really do appreciate people's concerns!

Ellen has been awesome through this whole thing. She is so positive, upbeat and supportive. I cannot imagine going through this on my own...Self pity is what you might call my strong suit. Ellen doesn't let that happen.

It is nice to be in our own home--most patients are renting a motel or condo. And t is awesome to be in Florida after hearing how Iowa and Minnesota got hammered with bone chilling cold.

2 down and 37 to go....

No comments: