Thursday, August 27, 2009

Florida

The past 2 weeks have been a blur. Some notable things have passed, the least of which was my 63rd birthday, August 22nd. We were in a rental car heading for Jacksonville, Florida for my 6 month prostate cancer check up. No cake, no candles, and that's ok. We did celebrate with a late dinner at a Bob Evans in Paducah KY...and a totally unecessary strawberry shortcake. We really like Bob Evans--it's kind of like home cooking (I had their pot roast, Ellen had their fantastic chicken pot pie).

The check up went fine--my PSA has continued to drop, now it is at .6, down from a high of 4.3 and a 1.0 at the 3 month mark. I've gained some pounds (thanks Bob Evans), but my blood pressure, which had been kind of high, was much much better. So good news is great to get. The Proton Institute seemed so different from when we left in February. Missing of course were all the folks we got to know during my treatments. Our nurse and doctor were there, but past that, only a few staff were recognized. One of my favorite techs, Kim from Yulee FL, came up and talked with us for several minutes. That was nice.

We are now in a beautiful condo/timeshare on Daytona Beach. We decided to make the trip a little more worthwhile with a mini vacation. Very very nice to spend a couple of days on the beach!

No comments: