Friday, November 6, 2009

Rainy Mount Vernon

Trying to catch up here...I haven't posted for over 2 weeks, and we have done a lot of stuff. After we left Gettysburg, the we and the Sarvers traveled down to the Washington D.C. area, staying actually in Dumfries VA. This park is next to the Prince George National Forest--a beautiful park, with very short sites. We had to park at a diagonal to fit, then had to park our F-450 a block away in overflow parking. Not a big thing, just inconvenient.

The weather was iffy, but we decided to at least go to Mount Vernon on a Friday. It rained ALL day. Chilly and wet, we still thoroughly enjoyed this historic site. Check out the photo of Ellen and you will note that we had the audio tour, which was nice. Even through the rain, you could tell George and Martha had a wonderful view of the Potomac.

The buildings were really in great shape, and we learned a lot, as there is a nice museum on the grounds.

Probably the worst thing is the following day I got really sick with the intestinal flu, chills and fever....a lot of other nasty business that I will not go into here. Suffice to say Ellen had to take me to the emergency room, where I got shots, abdominal xrays, and bags of saline as I was dehydrated as well. It took over 3 days to get my bearings.

I will try to continue our travelogue in the D.C. area as soon as possible.

Ellen enjoying the steady rain

No comments: